Sunday, October 18, 2015

Jessica Jackson- YGC Steering Committee Journey... So far :)

So what has my YGC journey been like so far? To be honest it's been a whirlwind but a fun one. With the steering committee I experience a phenomena I generally only have when working with youth, or meeting with a client as their therapist.  The phenomena is flow.  If you're not familiar with flow it's an incredible moment that many athletes call being in the 'zone'.  Positive psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi defines the state of flow as "being completely involved in an activity for its own sake. The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. Your whole being is involved, and you're using your skills to the utmost."

With the YGC steering committee we are focused on the best interest of you, the participants in the program.  We our focused on our mission ' to teach young adults leadership skills and the importance of service and philanthropy'. The Steering Committee meetings are very productive and surprisingly fun, like so much fun that I look forward to our meetings. I feel a sense of community with the team we are on a journey together, we have mutual interests in youth, philanthropy, and enjoying this awesome journey of life.  I feel we understand and respect the unique viewpoint of each team member and we value the impressive contribution each one of us brings to the program. We are able to joke and banter and have an incredible time, all while accomplishing the objectives laid out for that meeting.  I'll be honest, for me a key selling point is that the group is comprised of some amazing bakerswho bring delicious baked goods and yummy coffee for me to devour... I mean savor.  I can truly say that being a part of YGC has been one of the most rewarding experiences I've had and I hope each one of you who pours into this program with your talents, openness, and valuable contributions completes this program with a similar sentiment.

Warmly,

Jessica Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment