Saturday, October 24, 2015

... a better tomorrow! by Tejas Jani

YGC Steering committee embarked on this journey a few months ago. The launch date was set, and though it seemed that it was questionable to meet our date, this team - that I am so humbled to be part of - made it happen. 

The orientation and the two days of the retreat were the most amazing experiences that followed! I have spent times leading sessions and in different meetings at work and in other leadership efforts, but it felt different being among the youth of our community. When I got in front of the YGC class of 2016 and asked "Hey guys, how are you all doing?", the whole group answered, "Great", and a voice from the class followed, "How are you doing?". You don't see that with the grown ups, I thought instantly. You don't feel that sense of genuine wonder, to know how am I really doing? Their presence was so genuine and unique that I was moved.

It started so many questions in my mind, seeing the young leaders around our community and their amazing thought process! We don't have to even direct them, we just have to open them up to the ideas of service to others, how to be a servant leader, teach them the concepts of leadership and humanity - put all this knowledge in the middle of the group; and they will take it, soak it all up, and do something totally unique with it. My parents and my sister are all in education industry, except me, and this all was made so clear to me in that moment, the amount of joy they must receive in giving the gift of knowledge to the young minds. 

I am beyond humbled by this experience. On one hand working with the most awesome team of YGC Steering committee, and the other hand seeing what these young leaders will do in the remaining six months through their journey, more importantly after these six months! Time will tell, but I am anxiously waiting and watching in the front row seat - imagining ... a better tomorrow!

Tejas 

No comments:

Post a Comment